|A head-on view of a live individual of Terebralia palustris, family Potamididae|
|Two views of a shell of Cerithium echinatum, family Cerithiidae|
According to the older taxonomy by Ponder and Lindberg the suborders within the order Sorbeoconcha are:
- Discopoda P. Fischer, 1884
- Murchisoniina Cox & Knight, 1960
- Hypsogastropoda Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Cerithiimorpha Golikov & Starobogatov, 1975
The following families were not allocated to a superfamily:
- † Acanthonematidae Wenz, 1938
- † Canterburyellidae Bandel, Gründel & Maxwell, 2000
- Globocornidae Espinosa & Ortea, 2010
- † Prisciphoridae Bandel, Gründel & Maxwell, 2000
The World Register of Marine Species considers Sorbeoconcha an alternate representation of Caenogastropoda and gives the following reasoning:
Sorbeoconcha should include [Cerithioidea + Campaniloidea + all Hypsogastropoda (i.e. the remaining Caenogastropoda)], see definition in Ponder & Lindberg, 1997: 225, not only [Cerithioidea + Campaniloidea] as suggested by the indent pattern in Bouchet & Rocroi.
Neotaenioglossa Haller, 1892 suggested in Ruud Bank’s draft for Fauna Europaea is not retained because it would need severe emendation to remove Pyramidellids, Cerithioids, etc.. included in its original definition, and therefore would be too far from Haller's concept if it were to fit the concept of Sorbeoconcha.
Although cladistically sound, the taxon Sorbeoconcha is skipped in the classification scheme because (1) ten years after its publication, the name still sounds unfamiliar to most and (2) it is not very helpful in the classification because it includes the bulk of Caenogastropoda (only keeping out small stem groups Abyssochrysidae, Provannidae, and the architaenioglossate taxa). This is not final, opinions are welcome.
- Bouchet P. & Rocroi J.-P. (Ed.); Frýda J., Hausdorf B., Ponder W., Valdes A. & Warén A. 2005. Classification and nomenclator of gastropod families. Malacologia: International Journal of Malacology, 47(1-2). ConchBooks: Hackenheim, Germany. ISBN 3-925919-72-4. ISSN 0076-2997. 397 pp. http://www.vliz.be/Vmdcdata/imis2/ref.php?refid=78278